Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Tree

I picked up the Christmas tree tonight.  It is thawing.  We have always had real tree.  I like the ‘charlie brown’ style, full of holes and usually missing a limb or two.  This year’s edition is nearly 8 feet high, I had to break off part of the top as our ceilings are not that high.  It is sure to be a beauty tho.

Generally, I am the one who decorates the tree.  On my tree you will find a mishmash of ornaments.  They are not the perfectly matched units from cylinder tube costing $20.  No, my tree is full of odd pieces of history and they tell the story of my family.
The lights go on first.  I like the small lights, no blinkers, just the lovely multi-coloured rays.  The first ornaments are two that make me cry every year;  they belonged to my grandparent’s- my dad’s parents.  I do not remember giving the ornaments but I cherish them as if they were made of gold. They are old Hallmark balls that say Grama and Grampa.  The silky string that is the canvas for the bulb is getting frayed.  I always hang the balls near to each other; Grama’s just a bit higher than Grampa’s.  Dad and Grama would laugh at that, Grampa not so much.  When I put the ornaments on the tree, I feel sad that they are not here now.  I wish they knew my kids.  I wish I knew them now, as a grown up. But I know they are together, wherever they are. And I swear I feel all each person's spirit with me when I put out those ornaments.  Those two Christmas balls alone are worth half a box of kleenex. My family have learned to just say nothing and let me blubber.  I will be fine in an hour.

The other ornaments are ones that we have collected.  There is The First Christmas from 1989 and some of the other tree trimming we bought that year has survived.  I laugh when I see the Woolco price tag on the boxes. Two Baby’s First ornaments exist.   The Kids have various tree trimmings from their childhood craft times, too.  I love those the best.  My favorite of all time is the year we made clothes pin angel decorations. The pin was the body, coffee filters were cut to make wings and The Kid’s faces where the faces of the angels.  Absolutely hilarious – and perfect. The past few years we have begun to collect memories of our vacations for the tree.  I have found out this is an entirely fascinating and tacky industry; yet highly appealing.  Funny thing, I haven’t been able to find the right ornament for Maui – I guess I will have to go back to continue the search.  Last year I completed the ornaments with photos of the dogs inside.  Those make me laugh out loud.  I must get one for Lenny the Lizard.
From time to time people make jokes about the tree.   Those folks do not understand that the random collection of things is really the true reflection of this family, of this house, of these four walls.  It is a snap shot of time over many years.  Nothing on the tree matches, nothing is perfect.  It is a real tree.  Pass the tissues.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Our tree is exactly the same. We started hiking into the woods last year and cutting down a tree. The tree is nothing fancy, but something we had fun collecting as a family. The lights are multi-color, non-blinkers. The ornaments don't match, they are simply a collection of memories over the past 15 1/2 years. Love this post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please pass the tissues. This is how my parents tree looks and how I hope ours looks as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete